What to do nearby

The Highlander¬†pub finds itself in one of Paris’ oldest areas. It sits nicely at the foot of¬†Rue de¬†Nesle,¬†directly in front of¬†Pont¬†Neuf¬†and in between¬†Rue Dauphine¬†and the¬†Monnaie¬†de Paris.

Rue de Nesle

This old Parisian lane was first opened in the 13th Century, serving as a passage to get rid of waste from the¬†Saccite¬†Convent and the Saint-Denis priest college. Enclosed behind two doors, the street gained the nickname¬†“La rue des¬†Deux¬†Portes”¬†translating into English as¬†“The street with two doors”.¬†The former¬†Hotel de Nevers¬†which replaced the¬†Hotel de¬†Nesle¬†in the year 1600,¬†was situated on this street.¬†¬†

Monnaie de Paris

The¬†Monnaie¬†de Paris, or Paris Mint,¬†is France‚Äôs¬†national monetary institution, an industrial and commercial public establishment since 2007, who‚Äôs most notable¬†role¬†is the fabrication and issuing of the country‚Äôs coins. Created in 864 under the reign of Charles II, the¬†Monnaie¬†de Paris¬†is the oldest French institution remaining active to this day. Until 2007, The¬†Monnaie¬†de Paris¬†represented the ‚Äúcommercial‚Ä̬†side¬†of the¬†Direction of Coins and Medals which is part of the Ministry of Economy, Finance and Industry. In 2007 the¬†Monnaie¬†de Paris acquired autonomy and was given juridical character under the finance law n.2006-1666.¬†

Pont-Neuf

Pont-Neuf, contrary to what its name suggests, is in fact the oldest bridge in Paris. It crosses the River Seine just west of¬†l’Ile¬†de la¬†cit√©.¬†¬†

Construction of the bridge started at the end of the 16th Century and was finished at the beginning of the 17th. It’s name came from a revolutionary¬†concept at the time, being that the bridge was not lined with apartment buildings and had pavements to protect pedestrians, firstly from dirt but also from horses. It was also the very first bridge made entirely from stone to cross the Seine.¬†¬†

We can find two variations of its name in French:¬†“Le¬†pont¬†Neuf”¬†and¬†“Le Pont-Neuf”.¬†¬†

In 1889, the bridge was classified as a historical monument and in 1991 Pont-Neuf was named as a world heritage monument by UNESCO, along with all of the other bridges crossing the Seine, in Paris. 

Rue Dauphine

In 1607, King Henri IV took over Rue Dauphine, between the river Seine and Phillipe Auguste’s grounds in the gardens of the Augustins convent. The monks residing in the convent were strongly opposed to the taking over of their land, but the King convinced them, threatening to blow up the street with canons if they did not agree. The street was henceforth named Rue Dauphine, in honour of the King’s son, Dauphin.  

It was the first planned rectilinear Parisian street, built at the same time as the Place Dauphine (hence its name) and the Pont Neuf, the bridge which the street carries on from.  

In 1639, the street was lengthened from its ramparts to the Buci crossroads. This prolonged section was then named New Rue Dauphine, or Little Rue Dauphine. 

From 1729 and 1739, the¬†Caveau¬†society, a¬†society dedicated to song, music, literature and good living, would meet in the delicatessen¬†Nicolas¬†Landelle¬†on the corner of¬†Rue Dauphine¬†and¬†Rue de¬†Buci, for drinking and merriment. The cavernous rooms where they held their meetings gave the society its name,¬†caveau¬†meaning ‚Äėvault‚Äô or ‚Äėcellar‚Äô.¬†This continued until 1939, through four different successive societies.¬†¬†

In 1763, the first street lights were installed on Rue Dauphine by Antoine de Sartine, the lieutenant general of the police force. Between 1792 and 1814, the street was renamed Rue de Thionville, before taking back its original name, Rue Dauphine.  

The street is part of the parish of Saint André des Arts.